Thanks to the internet and the numerous digital professions, it’s no longer an obligation to spend years in an office confined between four walls. Working from a coffee shop in Stockholm, a beach in Bali, or a coworking space in Buenos Aires is totally possible. Some digital nomads hop from one destination to another, and some want to settle down. Living in the same place for several months quickly becomes essential when you work 30 or 40 hours a week. Moreover, falling in love with a place, and wanting to stay for more than 3 months is quite probable. That’s why digital nomad visas are highly sought after.
In this blog post:
What is a Digital Nomad?
A digital nomad is a remote worker who is self-employed or works for a company. They can carry out their activities from anywhere as long as they have proper internet access.
Most of these new workers operate in the fields of marketing, design, or teaching, but it’s also possible to travel and work as a tattoo artist, for example. Numerous jobs allow access to this lifestyle.
Why have the Digital Nomad Visas Been Created?
More and more countries are riding the wave of remote work abroad and are, therefore, launching their digital nomad visas. Indeed, from an economic standpoint, these new workers are interesting to some states that see the possibility of generating additional foreign income.
Digital nomad visas have been launched for various reasons:
- With the Covid pandemic, many countries experienced a steep drop in tourism and, therefore, their income related to this sector. One solution was to attract digital nomads for several months, which would generate significant income.
- For several years, some states have suffered a brain drain. Launching a digital nomad visa is a way to compensate for this drain by attracting other qualified workers.
- Taxes related to these visas are also appealing to countries, as they can collect more revenue.
- Lastly, most countries seek highly qualified digital nomads who work for clients in wealthier countries. This does not pose a threat to local employment while ensuring that these workers have significant spending power in the country.
What Are the Benefits of a Digital Nomad Visa for Remote Workers?
On Instagram, you might get the feeling that digital nomads change destinations as often as they change shirts. However, to maintain this lifestyle in the medium to long term, it’s essential to settle down for several weeks or even months to establish a true routine. That’s why digital nomad visas are so appealing.
Here are the main reasons that drive remote workers to take the necessary steps to obtain these valuable passes:
- The possibility of staying longer in the same destination to establish a real work and life routine.
- The opportunity to thoroughly explore a place and its lifestyle, make real connections and experience meaningful adventures.
- A better quality of life since some countries offer better infrastructure or a more interesting lifestyle than their home country.
- Saving money, as establishing long-term residence in countries with a lower cost of living can allow you to spend much less money while maintaining a pleasant life.
- No need to come up with schemes to extend your stay by leaving and re-entering the country.
20 Countries with a Digital Nomad Visa
Approximately fifty countries with a digital nomad visa in 2023. Here’s a brief list:
- Czech Republic
- Costa Rica
- Cape Verde
- South Africa
(Keep in mind that some countries don’t literally call their visas “digital nomad visas.”)
Of course, each country has its own entry conditions, and I strongly recommend checking each government’s websites to find out what these conditions are. This is especially true as they can change from day to day.
bonsvoyagesetc✨WANDERING IN MITLA There are many excursions you can make from Oaxaca. One...
bonsvoyagesetc✏️Come with me to a grabado workshop. Grabado, or printmaking, is very popular in...
bonsvoyagesetc🛩'EASY' WAYS TO START TRAVELING FULL-TIME I frequently receive DMs from followers...
bonsvoyagesetcWHAT TO SEE IN OAXACA? 🤩Oaxaca is one of my favorite cities in the world. Culture,...
bonsvoyagesetc👩🏾💻ARE YOU THINKING OF BECOMING A DIGITAL NOMAD? Working and traveling at...
bonsvoyagesetc🍃5 TIPS TO BE A CONSCIOUS TRAVELER IN OAXACA 📌Save this post for your next green...
bonsvoyagesetcIf you have the chance to have long holidays or to be a digital nomad, it is time to...
bonsvoyagesetc🥦🍒🍋🌽ONE OF THE THINGS I PREFER TO DO WHEN I TRAVEL Especially in Mexico, is...
bonsvoyagesetc🌍✨ Ready to embark on the Digital Nomad journey? Here are 4 essential things you...
bonsvoyagesetc🔥THE BEAUTY OF OAXACA, MEXICO🇲🇽 How this city can be more beautiful? It was...
bonsvoyagesetc👩🏾💻DO YOU WANT TO BECOME A DIGITAL NOMAD IN 2024? This is finally your year...
bonsvoyagesetcWHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS QUOTE? Personally, I can't agree more😉 Since I was a...
bonsvoyagesetc🍃5 TIPS TO BE A CONSCIOUS TRAVELER IN PUERTO ESCONDIDO 📌Save this post for your...
bonsvoyagesetc✨️NOVEMBER RECAP✨️ It has been a tough month. Many health issues prevented me...
bonsvoyagesetc🏡𝗛𝗢𝗪 𝗧𝗢 𝗙𝗜𝗡𝗗...
bonsvoyagesetcHONESTLY… I wanted to be a war reporter📹 when I grew up. Is it going to be my main...
bonsvoyagesetc⭐️THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I LEARNED AS A DIGITAL NOMAD IS BALANCING EXPLORATION...
bonsvoyagesetc😟WHAT IF YOU FEEL LONELY? Some people are afraid to travel or to embrace the digital...
bonsvoyagesetc🌍HOW TO REDUCE WASTE WHEN YOU TRAVEL? Taking care of the planet is more important...
bonsvoyagesetc🤑5 WAYS TO EARN MONEY WHILE TRAVELING You are dreaming of traveling🛩 and working...
bonsvoyagesetcTHE ANSWER IS… Luxembourg Ville🇱🇺 And it is your reminder to start...
bonsvoyagesetc✨️5 PRODUCTIVITY HACKS FOR DIGITAL NOMADS Struggling to find your groove in the...
bonsvoyagesetc🦥HOW TO SLOW TRAVEL? 🍃Slow travel is an intentional way of traveling that focuses...
bonsvoyagesetc👩🏾💻 HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR FIRST DESTINATION AS A DIGITAL NOMAD? So, you've...
bonsvoyagesetc👩🏾💻👩🏾💻👩🏾💻👩🏾💻4 STEPS TO BECOME A DIGITAL...
Conditions for Obtaining a Visa
As mentioned earlier, each country has its own conditions. However, there are some commonalities:
- Gather the necessary documents: you’ll need your identification documents and one or several photos.
- Submit an application: most countries allow you to do this online, but some may ask you to go to the consulate.
- Provide proof of your income: indeed, you’ll often need to demonstrate that you have enough money to live in the country and that your money comes from clients or companies established in foreign countries.
Some destinations may also ask you to prove that you have housing on-site, you have taken out specific insurance, or you’ve passed an interview before receiving your valuable pass.
The digital nomad visa is a fantastic opportunity for all nomads who wish to settle in a country they greatly appreciate or are eager to explore without feeling constrained by tourist visas that typically last only 3 months.
If you think this article could help other remote workers, don’t hesitate to share it on Pinterest!