San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, the wonder of the Basque Country
San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a must-visit if you are in the region. Easily accessible from Bilbao and San Sebastian, it’s the perfect excursion.
A small island
The hermitage of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe.
San Juan de Gaztelugatxe tickets
- Holy Week (Easter), Christmas, and holidays.
- From June 15th to the end of September.
- Every weekend between the last week of March and the end of the year.
How to get to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe?
Where to eat in San Juan de Gaztelugatxe?
You can bring your sandwich and eat it on a bench along the path leading to the island. Next to the hermitage, there is also a small covered area where you can rest and have a meal, sheltered from the wind. On the mainland, there is also the Eneperi bar-restaurant, which offers very nice views.
Where to stay in San Juan de Gaztelugatxe?
It is impossible to sleep on the site as it is an island. I strongly recommend staying in Bilbao or San Sebastián and using both cities as a starting point to explore the region.
TRAVELING RESPONSIBLY IN SAN JUAN DE GAZTELUGATXE
- Opt for public transportation instead of your own vehicle to reach the site.
- Do not litter.
- Bring a pocket ashtray with you.
- Do not try to remove a piece of stone or pluck a flower.
San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a unique and charming place. Enjoying the view it offers of the impressive cliffs and the Basque coast is magical for the visitor who has had the opportunity to climb there. I sincerely hope to have sparked in you the desire to go and visit this special place.
Share this article on Pinterest!